Saturday, March 15, 2014

Baby Steps ‏ 3/10/2014

Dear all,
We sang in church this week! Well I played and Sister Grover sang. It went well and we did have investigators come! Margot is the 87 year old lady from Germany that we have been teaching. She is just my favorite. She came on Saturday to a baptism in the singles ward. It was a spiritual experience and she loved it. After the baptism we went in the chapel and taught a quick lesson and talked with her. We asked her to pray about her baptism. She told us she is old and needs to take baby steps. We told her that is just fine with us as long as she is taking constant steps. When she came to church the ward just embraced her and took her in. It was so awesome to see. She loved the simplicity of the chapel. Our next goal with her, is to get her family to join in her learning. Her daughter has a Book of Mormon and thinks Mormons are the nicest people. I would love if all her grandchildren and great grandchildren could join her at church. What a neat thing that would be for her family. Erin also came to church with Robert and Sara.  It was fantastic to see people go up and embrace Robert. People that were his old leaders and bishops. They just welcomed him back and told him how much they missed him. I forget what I have told you, but Robert is a less active from the area and has struggled for many years with smoking.  Now that his girlfriend Erin is taking the lessons, he is trying to come back cool stuff.

We taught Pepper a lesson. Have I told you about Pepper? She lives in a hippie trailer park and is so funny. She is old and loves to smoke and read. We were trying to do family history with her, but now we are actually teaching the lessons. She says she has felt better and been happier since we have come. She said something that really stuck out to me, she said, “you girls just have a light inside of you. It always shines and comes out of your eyes. I want to be around people like that. You are just so bright” When she told us that, we were having a really tough week. It was a hard week to be a missionary. But she reminded me that even when I feel down and don’t have energy or drive, I still have the spirit. It truly is with me always. That is a great reminder to us all. Be the light that others seek. Let it shine out of you. Let it shine through your cracks and imperfections so that other people can find Christ by looking at you. I love that she said the light was inside of us. I hope that the more I learn of Christ and God, the more they can be an actual part of me and cause me to have light and goodness inside of me always.

We had some awful experiences on the bus and contacting this week. A record for sure. Man some people really hate the missionaries. One night we sat down and a man goes, “in the next ten minutes of this bus ride I will destroy all of your faith.” Not a good start to a bus ride. He continued to bash and throw every single thing possible at us. He really knew his stuff. It was awful to hear some of the things coming out of his mouth. When he started talking about the temple my companion got so angry and I thought she might lose it. Turns out he was a member and then really super fell away. He calls himself the spawn of Satan…..great huh? Well not much you can do so I just sat there and sang hymns in my head. That was just one experience of many this week. I got hugged by a drunk gay man who was being very rude. I got told to get out and see the light by an older women in the parking lot. I got swore at and laughed at and on and on. Prepare yourself Seth. The mocking and ridicule is very real. Another man just pounded us about gay marriage, something we deal with ALL the time. Seriously, I think we have at least one conversation a day about why the church doesn’t support it. It is so sad to see how many families have left the church over that one issue. Anyway, it was crazy but I’m all good. Can’t destroy my faith in ten minutes that’s for sure.

This week was also a week of lots of questions. It is totally ok to have questions but it is also so important to remember that we can’t let the questions get in the way of us remembering what we already have answers for. Some things that I have learned have just lead me to really try and understand some of the points of the gospel better. I have such a desire to understand and better root myself in truth. Over the week I have better learned that I don’t need all the answers. God will always give us enough light for the time. I just took some time and wrote down all of my questions. It took over four pages back and front. Then I closed my journal and said: “one day I will know and for now I will just preach what I already do know”. I am currently doing an extensive study on the need for Jesus Christ. I read at lunch, in the car, any time I can. I’m working on better grasping this whole plan and how we all play into in. I am so grateful for my testimony and my Savior because I know I do need Him. The more I study the more I know He truly is the way back to God.

I love you all and I am so grateful for your testimonies and your examples. Another thing I learned, you never know when you are being someone’s rock. I realized I was being someone’s this week and it floored me. I had no idea how much they were struggling until I learned how much I was keeping them going. It’s funny to think that as I am just trying to figure it all out for myself, someone is using my testimony to not lose theirs. We are all truly on a personal journey that forces us to grow and learn constantly. Good thing we have the gospel to guide us and never let us down.  Keep moving forward, even if it is just baby steps like Margot.
 Love ya lots,

Sister Huber


No comments:

Post a Comment