Monday, March 17, 2014

Walk in Sunlight‏ March 3 2014

Hello all!,
 
I hope that every single one of you had a great week. I hope that you found so many reasons to be happy and so many opportunities to help others be happy. ( secret: if you are helping other people be happy, you end up being happy!! )
 
First off, I am going to be tan. Well I sure hope so because right now I am just burnt. It is like 85 and the sun shines off that wonderful ocean all day. Warm weather is good and bad. Mostly good. I still turn the heat on in my apartment though. My poor companion. I really think I have something wrong with me and my temperature control.
 
Mom! You will love what I did. So I ask everyone and their dog, which in California is everyone because everyone has a dog, if they will let us serve them. Nobody says yes. I finally decided to take matters into my own hands and find some service. I asked my ward and got a phone number for the Community Resource Center. We now volunteer every Thursday for 3 hours and work at the bread line. We get to unload trucks of food, organize, do paperwork, gather food for people, give it to people and help them to their cars and so on. It is wonderful! I love it so much. We also get to wear pants and sweatshirts which is lovely. I want to be able to work at a place like this when I get home from my mission. The people are fun and the workers are so kind. Some of the best people a person could ever meet.
 
Mom this one is for you as well. Signing....apparently if you are a sister missionary everyone atomically assumes you are a wonderful singer. Ha. I now find myself in ward choir and singing with any group who needs a little extra support. For instance, I sang with the Young Women on Sunday in Sacrament Meeting. I just feel bad because they thought they were getting singers and instead they got me. My companion is great so I just stand by her and move my mouth. At least I am very willing to try.
 
Miracle story!!!! I get to knock doors every single day. That is just one of the beauties of a mission like this. I am a little different then most missionaries though, because I really like knocking doors. I am always in the best mood when I am done getting rejected over and over. Its strange but it really makes me happy to knock and try. We knock 100's of doors and get a no but sometimes we get a yes. That always makes you so happy and willing to keep on knocking. This week we knocked a door and got a return appointment. We went back the next day and taught a women and her 5 (wait till I explain this family...so cool) children. It was a lesson straight from preach my gospel. It was a lesson that you would think never happens. The mom accepted a baptismal date for her whole family in the 1st lesson. She promised to read and then we knelt down and she said her first ever prayer. What a amazing experience. So I said she has 5 kids. Of those 5, 4 of them are twins. It is like my dream family. They have a 10 year old boy, 8 year old twin girls, and 4 year old twin boys. Right? Its like out of this world. I'll keep you updated on them for sure.
 
One of my investigators is really struggling with the whole idea of us needing Jesus Christ. I could write a whole email on that but I am going to run out of time. Maybe next week I will share my own personal thoughts and insights on why we need Christ. Just trust me when I say we definitely do need Him.
 
President Hinckley said: " Walk in the sunlight of that peace which comes from obedience to the commandments of the Lord." D&C 59:23 says: He who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come.
 
I can testify to each of you that I know there is a literal light that comes to our lives when we follow the Lord. The peace that Christ can offer to us is incomparable to anything else (see John 14:27). He is the one who is waiting to encircle us about in the arms of His love. He is the one who is begging for us to turn and accept Him once more. Turn to Him and lay your burdens and your worries and your doubts on His shoulders. I know He lives and I know He loves us.
 
I Love You All,
Sister Huber
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment