Monday, September 22, 2014

Choose to Obey 9-8-2014

A week of miracles, I will share as many as possible so I won’t ever forget what happens in the day to day grind of being a missionary.  
Cameron was first taught by the Encinitas elders when I was in that ward. I knew of him and met him once. He dropped the missionaries and hadn’t had any more contact with the church. He graduated from high school and now goes to college and would be YSA eligible. We got a text saying that he would meet with missionaries again last week and so we switched him to the YSA ward and started teaching. He is super awesome and we really connected well. We went over all his questions and really got to use the scriptures to find answers.  He is praying about baptism and it should be soon. I am so happy to be part of his conversion. It is amazing how many missionaries and members affect each story and how we all play a different role in these people’s lives.  
Robert showed up super late to a lesson with Obed and Obed started teasing him for being so late. Robert said on Mormon standard time he was perfect. I interjected and told him to stop making excuses to which he replied, “it’s not an excuse, it’s my religion”. Oh brother, right? I was laughing so hard and I couldn’t stop. Then I realized that even though it was a clever joke he was making it is also a very serious statement that countless people make every single day through their choices. When someone turns down a drink despite peer pressure they are saying, I won’t make an excuse for my behavior but I will stay true to my religion and my God. We can have no excuses in this gospel. We need people who will stand up and say, I don’t care what you think or say- this is my religion and I will stay true.
Choi is one of the funniest and most sincere people I have ever met. I had dinner with him and he now wants to move to Idaho and work on Grandpas farm… would that even be a possibility? He wants to call you about it. He was baptized 3 years ago after coming to America from Korea. He bore his testimony yesterday in church and it was one of the most powerful things I have ever heard. He thanked the sisters for helping him right when he needed help and for always knowing what to teach and talk about. He said something so profound after telling about all his struggles with the accepting the gospel. He talked of how up until a few weeks ago he still didn’t fully agree or understand some things. I think we can all relate to him with something in the church. He would live almost all of the commandments but a select few he would disregard. That has now changed and he said, “When I stopped questioning and CHOSE to obey, I recognized all the ways the Lord was blessing me”.  He talked of surrender and of the clear vision that came after his obedience to all the commandments of God. This Sunday Choi was ordained to the office of Elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood. What a journey he went on and what an example he is to each of us. Choose to obey and then accept the ability to see all of your many blessings from God.
Obed and Robert both passed the sacrament this week! Lucas came to church again and he loves it. He says he never enjoyed church but now he feels good every time he comes. Gotta love the spirit. We picked up two awesome new investigators and I can't wait for this next week! I am training the zone tomorrow in Zone Training Meeting so I need to go prepare for that. We also had Mission Leadership Council which was fantastic. I love all of you! With my whole entire heart!

LOVE Sis Huber



No comments:

Post a Comment